Monday, September 5, 2011

Cheers and Jeers... Local store shopping reviews.

Since things are slow this holiday weekend I want to take this opportunity to do something I have been meaning to for a while... store reviews.   There are 6 local stores I frequent: Fry's, Walmart (2 locations), Target, CVS, Walgreens, and Safeway.  Some have been consistently a pleasure, some so/so, and one makes me cringe! So here goes, let's give credit where credit is due with Bargain Birdie's very first "Cheers and Jeers".

#1: Walmart- Valencia Rd, Tucson, AZ
CONGRATS! You have earned the #1 spot on my list this month!  Where other stores have failed, you have managed to have the items I needed in stock, cashiers who know what they are doing, and mangers who care and treat the customer with respect!  You also price match and give money back for coupon overages! Bravo and thank you!  My only "room for improvement" comment would be your over the phone customer service... this was frustrating to say the least, but this review is primarily based on in store service, so you are still taking the top spot.

#2: Fry's- Rancho Sahuarita Blvd, Sahuarita, AZ
I LOVE my local Fry's!  They are convenient, friendly, clean, and well organized.  They make all manufacturer coupons worth at least $1, and run some awesome sales. Charlene and Kathy at the customer service booth are AMAZING (BRAVO ladies!!!) So why #2?  Well, some employees are stellar, others I will actually avoid due to rudeness and incompetence. Fry's does not price match, and no longer accepts competitor coupons. They often discontinue my favorite products, and are also often out of stock on some of the major sale/coupon items due to the greater than average amount of couponers around here.  After having been on the TLC show Extreme Cheaters, aka "couponing", you'd think they would employ the services of a merchandiser who knows what people are gonna be after in this area... just a thought.  You guys still save me TONS of $$$ though, are so close to home, and the atmosphere cant be beat!  This keeps you in the #2 spot. Cheers :)

#3: Safeway- Duval Rd, Green Valley, AZ
YOU GUYS ROCK! You always have coupons in your flyer, you make all manufacturer coupons worth $1, and you run some great sales.  Safeway does not price match, or accept competitor coupons. They do have more opportunities to stack store coupons with manufacturer coupons and store sales though. Shopping trips to Safeway tend to be for very specific items like chicken, TP, and ice cream.  Sometimes coupons pop up that make it worth a trip to get free and cheap other items too, and I have been pleasantly surprised by their clearance recently!  Waiting in line is always the worst part at this store, but once you get there the cashiers are pleasant and knowledgeable.  I love that Safeway is dependable to have items in stock, and rotating their sales often enough that I can rely on the ones I need coming back around before it is too late!

#4: Walmart- Calle Arroyo Sur, Sahuarita, AZ
Now this is a tough one... This is by far the easiest, most pleasant Walmart to shop at on the face of the Earth!  It is always clean, never over crowded, friendly elderly greeters, and parking spots available that aren't miles away!  They also price match and give money back for coupon overages!  Problem is, this Walmart often does not have the items I need... not that they are out of stock, they just don't have them.  Also some things they do have will be in the back room for weeks, not on the shelf, and you need to ask a manager for them to get them out, or items are priced higher than other Walmarts.  All this can make coupon matchups here a challenge, but still worth the trips.

#5: CVS- Continental Shopping Plaza, Green Valley, AZ
This CVS is always clean and well organized.  The staff is pleasant, and the coupon machine at the front of the store is genius!  This CVS is a little out of the way for the few items I purchase there, and many of their deals rely on register rewards which I tend to shy away from unless the out of pocket expense is minimal.  While most of the time I can get better deals at the other stores, I enjoy the peace and quiet of a CVS trip and the little surprise freebies they give you from that coupon machine really make my day sometimes!

#6: Walgreens- Calle Arroyo Sur, Sahuarita, AZ
Ah, Wags... what can I say... While some of the deals I have scored here have been great, but your coupon policy is a pain in the rear.  Having to have the same number of items or more than the number of coupons is annoying, and not to mention you often don't even have the items in stock due to the amount of couponers in this area (I assume).  This one can be hit or miss.

#7: Target- Spectrum Shopping Plaza, Irvington Rd, Tucson, AZ
Last and certainly least, Target!  I know not all Targets are this unpleasant, but this is the only one even remotely close to me.  I do not look forward to shopping here.  This store is disorganized, the parking lot is a nightmare, the staff is often unfriendly and always unknowledgeable.  Products are always out of stock, the registers change coupon values, reject almost every coupon (cashiers need to override), and they have even refused legitimate coupons (even a manager!)!  The ONLY reason I still bother to try to shop here is that I can stack their store coupons with manufacturer coupons or clearance to get some good deals.  Only if the deal is really good do I bother with them anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment